Thursday, August 15, 2013

Germany

In the Spring I met up with Gwendolyn in Berlin after she had spent two months there studying German. We took a week tour through the country by train and I could spend a few posts on every stop. I'll try to keep it short for the point of the blog, however. There is at least one great costume from the trip, though it was made earlier in the year.

Remnants of the Berlin wall.

Wandering can produce the best things- like a large cemetery dating back to the 18th c.

We attended a 1920s event one evening, complete with live music and burlesque show. First we took pictures in front of our epic hotels front door (if you stay in Berlin I highly recommend Art Hotel Connection).

It's a classic Robe de Style based on an original. I had the lace already and it needed a new gown to build around it. Finding a similar style lace on a gown for sale on Etsy, I thought it would be a perfect use.

Aside from the antique lace scallops, the rest of the gown is made up of silk chiffon and charmeuse with hand-dyed silk ribbon flowers. I also made up the necklace and a hairpiece to match.

The little panniers are extremely simple versions of 18th c. style made from the chiffon and German plastic boning.

Turns out the next day was a national holiday and the train ride home was just a little festive!

After a bit of train travel we visited Fussen and Neuschwanstein castle. Once it's cold enough to wear this new coat again I'll do a post about it. I found the fabric years ago and ear marked it to copy the coat Judy Garland wears in For Me and My Gal. I finally got to it!

Next stop of Rothenberg ob der Tauber. My mothers maiden name is Rothenberger and we've had a drawing of this corner in our house my whole life.

If you think it's going to be picturesque, you're only half-right.

Lastly, Heidelberg for one day. Our hotel room was Vienna themed (each room is a different city).

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I adore your Robe de Style and cute coat!

You went to some of my fav places in Germany! I love Rothenberg and Füssen/Neuschwanstein are amazing too! So fun!

Ila said...

This is awesome!

The Fashionista Geek said...

That dress is divine!!!